This portfolio is a work in progress. Interact with the samples by clicking on each image or link. For more information on any of these projects, feel free to email me at email@example.com.
K-12 Education Content
- Lesson Plan: “Blogtopia: Blogging Your Own Utopia” (on ReadWriteThink, a joint project from the National Council of Teachers of English and the International Reading Association)
- Read-Aloud: “Something Beautiful” by Sharon Dennis Wyeth (for Book Rack Used Books & Gifts’ virtual bedtime/story-time series)
Higher Education Content
- PowerPoint: “Responding to Student Writing: A Workshop” (Instructor-Led Training)
Tutor Training Materials
- Articulate Rise: Tutor Training Module
- Storyboard: Tutor Training Module
- PowerPoint: Tutor Training, In-Person Training
- Powtoon Video: “9 Events of Instruction”
Articulate Rise: Tutor Training Module
In response to Covid-19, the education programs at this nonprofit organization began to offer an introductory tutoring session online for potential adult education tutors. I designed this for an audience who would be either working one-on-one, in small groups, or in a classroom with adult learners. The audience is a blend of educators and other community professionals, and the training had several goals: help future tutors understand adult literacy, apply education theories to real-world scenarios, and know how to take the next steps to become a tutor in a teaching environment that appeals to them.
Storyboard: Tutor Training Module
This is the drafting phase of the above tutor training module.
PowerPoint: Tutor Training, In-Person Training
Powtoon Video: “9 Events of Instruction”
This short video was designed to be sent to volunteer tutors as part of a weekly newsletter email.
- With Anna Mae Tempus. “’Old Dead White Guys’: Teaching and Resisting the Literary Canon.” In Acts of Resistance: Subversive Teaching in the Language Arts Classroom (2020).
- “Say Their Names: Complicating the Single-Story Narrative of City Kids.” In Teaching Young Adult Literature (MLA, 2020).
- With Cathy Rex. “Teaching Tourism in Jamaica: Developing Students’ Critical Consciousness and Intercultural Competence.” Intercultural Education (2018).
- “Moving Beyond the Teacher-Savior: Education Films, Teacher Identity, and Public Discourse.” In Saviors, Scapegoats and Schoolmarms (Routledge, 2016).
- “’Just like Freedom Writers’: One Teacher’s Personal Narrative about Working with Hip-Hop in the Classroom.” International Journal of Critical Pedagogy (2013).